Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:20 pm 

This really applies to any big block chevy, not just Revcons, but apparently the problem years are around the time the slant noses used the 454 BBC. I bought a 82 slantnose that had sat for long time and was used as a camper, not running, owner said it ran just needed starter which was lying on floor. Cheap enough to take a chance. Turns out that starter was wrong one, not even close for a 454.

But a regular chevy starter would not fit right, too much gap to ring gear, unless used over .25" of spacer to cock it, then the torque at starting would "kick" the starter out of alignment. Big block, small block, staggered mounting bolt, straight mounting bolt, different starters from parts store, even local starter guru let me borrow his "special" noses. Nothing worked except shaving the nose holes and adding big spacers, then the starter would kick out after a few starts from the torque.

Diagnosis: (From Internet) there was a time (eighties?) when the block drilling/machining machines at GM crept out of tolerance to a point where the standard starters would not work, and GM made a special starter nose to rectify this problem, no longer available.

Solution: we took one of the "high torque race" starters that uses a machined block of aluminum as the mount to the block. The starter motor bolts into the block of aluminum. Took quite a few trial fits of shaving the mount, but fits like a glove now without any spacers. The standard aluminum mounts have 2 bolts straight across for mounting into the block. My block was drilled for 3 bolts so I found a 3 bolt mounting block. Apparently this block was drilled to use either a straight or staggered bold starter. That is handy since my outside mounting boss is cracked, might have to make a truss up later. Runs good now. Thanks Santa Claus.

I can imagine the frustration of a diy'er like myself trying to make a parts store rebuilt starter fit and finally giving up and parking it. Advice I learned: even if you think you have a standard starter, don't give up a properly fitting starter as a core until you are sure the replacement fits properly.

Daytona Beach Florida

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:16 am 

That is interesting. I had to replace the starter on the 454. When I purchased the replacement from NAPA, I found it did not fit right and ended up steeling parts from my old one to fit the new one. Its been long enough ago, that I can't remember what I stole from the other unit, but it did have to do with getting the gear to full engage. When I installed the 502, I still had the old starter, so I stole the parts back, to put it back to stock.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:41 pm 

Best bet with starters is to rebuild the one you have. Electric auto rebuilders are on average cheaper then new and better. I use Peru Electric Automotive in Peru Il. Phone 815-223-0888 ask for Tony. They do ship in and out.