Revcon Forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner support system for the Revcon Motorcoach
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hummer wheel install
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:56 pm 

Well, I finally decided to give the H2 wheel conversion a try on my coach. My 16.5 rims were getting more and more rusty and with 17" H2 wheels being a direct swap.... well, see for yourself.
Attachment:
h2wheels1small.jpg
h2wheels1small.jpg [ 125.16 KiB | Viewed 15865 times ]

The 17" H2 wheels were a direct bolt-up with no spacers needed. No rub problem in front except on a hard-over backing, then just minor rub at best, Nothing worse then I had with the Transforce HT's. I used the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 1-ton off road truck tires with 3100-lb weight rating each, LT265/70R17 121R. The speedometer is so close it's not even worth re-calibrating, less then 1 MPH off at 75 MPH. On a competitive price match, 7 tires were around $1,650 mounted, balanced, and out the door. I was able to pick up 8 wheels with center caps locally over time for between $35 to $50 each. Just have to watch Craigslist, someone's always selling H2 stockers. Out of the 8 wheels I purchased, 6 were good & straight, one had a very minor bend, one was a little worse. The 7th wheel is in the spare position until I can swap rims, I recycled the 8th.

Anyone need some stock Revcon 16.5 inch rims?

Eric

System Manager and your tourguide for the day. 1989 Revcon 31' MB #2752. Coach renovated between 2006-2009. 454 with .030 overbore, Doug Thorley headers, Federal Model 58 Traffic Blaster, Voyager backing camera system, more mods shortly forthcoming.

Post subject: Re: Hummer wheel install
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:24 pm 

Hi Eric
I really like those wheels. I've been wondering if you could use the 17 " hummer wheels and find a tire the right size to not throw off the speedometer and have enough load rating. Does the ride and handling feel any different from the original's with the transforce on them? Good luck with them .
Rodney

87 Slantnose 31'

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:12 am 

Well, hard question to answer. Prior to the wheel swap, my coach never had what you'd called a "smooth" ride. I suspect that one or more of my 16.5" rims was bent or not balanced properly, the coach had a sweet spot about 68 MPH where you could cruise comfortably. Any more then that and you'd start to bounce. I held on the throttle to 80 one time and before I backed off the gas thought I was riding on the back of one of those old Sunbeam mixmasters... The amount of surface rust on the rims was concerning, one rim the rust had broken through the chrome outer layer and the chrome was peeling like crazy. Just not something I was really crazy to drive in for a prolonged period. Plus if a rim cracked, I was done.

I've still got the old rims if anyone needs any, but I am so darned tempted just to recycle the lot of 'em after a waiting period. I didn't even bother to take them out of the back of my truck. The Transforces are visibly a thinner tire then the Goodyears, I can honestly say the ride is now much smoother and feels more stable.

For the cost of the rims (average $35 to $50 each if you deal well) and the variety of tires now at our disposal, I think it's a good trade up. Plus they make the coach look somewhat "tougher". I actually had the manager at the tire store compare it yesterday to the EM-50! (GRIN) Here's another pic, close-up of the front.

Attachment:
h2wheels2small.jpg
h2wheels2small.jpg [ 143.23 KiB | Viewed 15839 times ]

System Manager and your tourguide for the day. 1989 Revcon 31' MB #2752. Coach renovated between 2006-2009. 454 with .030 overbore, Doug Thorley headers, Federal Model 58 Traffic Blaster, Voyager backing camera system, more mods shortly forthcoming.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:30 pm 

Does anyone know, or can direct me to a resource, if the H1, H2, H3, and H4 wheels are all the same size/spacing/etc.

Thanks

Daytona Beach Florida

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:15 am 

I'm pretty sure the H1 and H2 wheels are different. Not sure on the H2 and H3. I'll have to look around to see what I can find. What kind of wheels do you have on right now, are they the Budd wheels or the later 16.5's? I didn't know if you needed any later model 16.5 wheels or not as my old wheels are going out. Soon. You're within 40 miles of me so that's an easy drive.

Thanks
Eric