Revcon Forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner support system for the Revcon Motorcoach
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PLEASE NOTE - All new users are required to make an introductory post in this forum within seven (7) days of account establishment, this is a one-time requirement to complete your user validation. Thanks and welcome aboard!

Post subject: New 26' slant project
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:43 pm 

Stripped out interior completely, got it running, will start checking out brakes etc. soon. The plan is to get it running, update with tbi, rear disc brakes, etc. Probably a year before its on the road.

Lastly, to put in a lightweight minimalist interior for 2 person use. The Airstream forums have some interesting thoughts on lightweight interior building. Once it is roadworthy I hope to weigh it before putting any interior back in. Just wife and I, so looking for a very open, lightweight, functional interior. Some things I have been contemplating:

small generator with inverter Mr. Slim airconditioner, some lightweight composite (carbon fiber?) instead of 3/4 plywood for cabinets, replacing upper cabinets with collapsible cordura bins to get upper weight down. Wife nixed idea of the sink doing double duty for bath and kitchen.

I bought a nearly ready 23' GMC that will be my camper until the Revcon is finished (estimate 3 years), then I can truly compare them.

Daytona Beach Florida

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:10 pm 

Hey Skip, I'm just down the road from you in Rockledge. Welcome!! Hope you got a good deal on the slant-nose, I know we talked once or twice before via EMAIL. My 89 is still doing OK, although I need to replace both windshields & the gasketing and paint the coach.

Take care
Eric

System Manager and your tourguide for the day. 1989 Revcon 31' MB #2752. Coach renovated between 2006-2009. 454 with .030 overbore, Doug Thorley headers, Federal Model 58 Traffic Blaster, Voyager backing camera system, more mods shortly forthcoming.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 pm 

Skip, I'll add one more comment about trying to go lightweight. I would recommend looking at a few of the sailboat amateur boat building sights, including F-boat.com. Foam sandwich seems to be about the lightest weight you can build. While carbon fiber is strong, the limiting factor has always been the foam density. Yes, you can buy different grades, but if you are just going to go down to your local Home Depot, that foam will work and be plenty strong enough. I have built a hatch cover for my old sailboat from some super thin cheap fiberglass sheeting from Lowes. Even though the fiberglass is super thin and only one layer, once built, a 2X3 section I could jump up and down on, without it breaking. The most difficult aspect of premade sheeting is what to trim the edges out with. I used aluminum, which added a lot of weight. If you are making the fiberglass sheets yourself, the technique used is to frame up from the back side and then lay the foam on lat board. Fiberglass the top side, and then remove the foam from the board and fiberglass the other side. One thing you got to be careful of is the epoxy will attach the foam. Again some more reading on West System will help.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:37 pm 

Skip, I'm interested to hear about how you applied that mini-split AC unit. Where did you mount the condensing unit?

Bill in MN
26 ft. '75 flatnose

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:51 pm 

Real work got in my way, haven't tried the mini split yet. But I plan to put one in my house soon so I can at least get a feel for the size and power.

Daytona Beach Florida