Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PLEASE NOTE - All new users are required to make an introductory post in this forum within seven (7) days of account establishment, this is a one-time requirement to complete your user validation. Thanks and welcome aboard!

Post subject: Newbie intro
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:43 pm 

Hi All,
I'm a newbie to RVing, Revocn, and this forum. I was talking to a guy at a bar a couple of months ago who had an old RV he wanted to get rid of cheap. I told him I'd buy it if he could drive it to my house. I figured I'm use it as an extra bedroom for guests, didn't really intend to actually drive it.
Three weeks ago he shows up with it, a '71 Revcon in pretty good overall condition. He says everything worked except the fridge. It's all original, bought by his father and left to him when his father passed. He had the engine rebuilt like 7 years ago.
It is a lot cooler than I was expecting, I really like the old round vibe. I started checking the internet because I had never heard of Revcon before. Turns out they are way cool, now I'm excited to restore/update it. First thing I'd like to do is swap wheels to 16" before I buy tires (originals are very dry rotted). I don't think this will be hard on the front, but the back? Any help in this area will be appreciated.
I haven't even taken the wheels off yet to see what the axle hubs are, I don't have a jack strong enough to lift it or sockets big enough to go over the wheel lugs yet, lol.
Anyway, glad to have found this forum!
Ray

Post subject: Re: Newbie intro
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:20 am 

Welcome aboard. Not only is a Revcon very cool looking, but it is also one of the best built RVs out there.

You may have some fun trying to replace the rims with 16 inch wheels for several reasons. The bolt pattern is very oddball, so you will not easily find a bolt on rim. Your best bet would be to have 16 inch rings welded onto your existing centers. The next difficulty will be finding tires with a high enough load rating, About the highest load rating for 16 tires is 3400 lbs. That is a touch low, although you would probably get away with it. There have been a few dually conversions using a pickup truck axle. The other fun part will be removing the lugs, as they are torqued to 400 lbs. Everything it do-able, but tires is one of those battles. Most stick with 16.5s, bias ply load range F. That is good for 4000 lbs. It is not a problem to mix bias and radials on a vehicle as long as an RV, so often they will be paired with radials on the front.

All your interior trim should be Teak, so it should clean up real well, and looks great with some fresh finish.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817