Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cockpit floor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:41 pm 

My cockpit floor on my '72 250 rotted out because water got between the exterior skin and the plywood floor for many years.

When I removed the panels under the front windows, I found that I could see into the engine compartment.

There's no boot for the rod that goes to the brake master cylinder.

Originally, did these areas have a barrier, or boot?

Post subject: Re: Cockpit floor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:01 pm 

Not owning a flat nose, I don't know for sure, but does have a rubber seal around the rod. Regardless of what it had, or is supposed to have, you can always choose to install some sort of seal. Its probably a good idea, as it will discourage rodent entrance. Probably the easiest place to find something that will work would be a local speed shop or online, Summit Racing.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:18 pm 

Heck ya, I already have.

The wood floor is being replaced with 3/32 sheet aluminum. The whole engine bay, wood and all, and the under side of the aluminum sheet, has a thick coat of undercoating (literally put on wearing gloves, by hand), and I've used 'Duct Seal' in all the gaps then covered that with undercoating. All the wood that's still there, and the gaps that have formed where the wood and angle iron butt together, have been sealed with 'Duct Seal' and then covered with undercoating. It will fall apart before that ever leaks again.

I really should post some pics here. It's coming along fairly well.

I haven't looked for a boot for the brake yet. That shouldn't be hard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:39 pm 

Well..... I'm still not done, but working on it.

The thing I've found is that you can't really do the floor without looking into the gap between the dash and the panels under the windows. I have nothing there, and it's open to the engine bay. I've got no idea if there was anything there before, so I'm going to have to improvise.

Things I've found:
No cab filter for the A/C & heater fan box
No mitigation to keep water and fumes from coming up between the skin and cockpit floor subframe.
No mitigation to keep water and fumes from coming in between the dash and inside panel under the window.

I've also found that the seam that connects the 'glass to the aluminum sections of the roof are still leaking. It drains down the walls, both in and outside the walls, to the corner by the RV door. As a result, I've had to replace large sections of wood on the front side of the entrance. I've tried a few things that aren't working. My next thing to try is Everbond tape. Since it's paintable, I'm hoping to put down a 4" strip to seal it up, then paint it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:09 pm 

Another thought on the brake boot. You could just do like the did in the old days and buy a piece of leather. Wrap it into a cone shape and stitch the one side. A metal ring around the base and you have something that almost looks factory.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:33 pm 

That's an idea, for sure. I've had to do that for MG projects in my younger years.

I'm also thinking that shifter boots come in all kinds of sizes.

I really need to get some pictures uploaded, if it's allowed. I'd love to have pics around in case it inspires other/better ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:50 pm 

I've done some work on the flooring.

I've got the aluminum sheet covered with undercoating on both sides, and the wood is in place. Next is the blue foam insulation and the top thin ply sheeting.

If it works or doesn't work, it's documented somewhere.

Attachments:
Floor with wood.jpg
Floor with wood.jpg [ 241.45 KiB | Viewed 40998 times ]
Floor with undercoating.jpg
Floor with undercoating.jpg [ 242.07 KiB | Viewed 40998 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:25 pm 

Thanks FEF for the postings and pics. I also see you have a third battery, mine only has a step with battery selector on the right side in that location, so I only have 2 batteries and not 3 which the owners manual states - always wondered where the third battery was supposed to be. Wonder if I removed the selector if I can put back the engine battery in that spot? Ned to go have a look :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:17 pm 

Zauster, not sure why the selector switch would preclude battery, the box has at least 3-4" on side of battery, plenty of room for switch and Battery I would think. My 3rd Batt is in same location as in FEF pics. Would love to install behind right headlight since heat is a problem for Batt in current location. To much of a science project to move battery for now. Ken 72 250 DT