Revcon Forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner support system for the Revcon Motorcoach
It is currently Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:46 pm 

OK group time to go to work. My slant nose (88) is in need of some front end work and I need some cross reference or interchange numbers for the front suspension. Ball joints are all OK including the H1 lowers added by the PO, but what I really need is upper and lower control arm bushings along with new transmission mounts. I'm also in need of a CV boot on the LH side but watching the discussion on Revcon Curious lately it seems Marty Moore is the only game in town. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wally World Express 2.0
1989 Revcon Slant Nose 34 (#2750)
GM High Torque 502 w/ Weiand Supercharger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 am 

Yikes, just looked at your signature. And I thought I was the wild one. I'll remember not to get in any drag races. For CV boots, my CVs were rebuilt by Rockford CV, but for what ever reason, they can not seem to identify the correct boot. There is a company in California that can probably help. They are Convel or http://cvaxles.com/. I believe Lyle was able to purchase boots from them.
For the A-frame bushings, they are as follows:
Upper "A" arm '85 Dodge 1 ton 2 W/D
Lower "A" arm '70 Buick Electra AC Delco 45G9011
Hopefully this will help.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:04 pm 

Dave,

Thanks so much for your input. I'm now on the prowl for the much needed boot and bushings. I can't wait to get the FE tracking as it was intended. Your trans-plant intrigues me so when you get a chance how about a write up of your objectives and trials and tribulations.

Wally World Express 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:37 pm 

I'll do a write up on the trans project, but as a quick overview, the trans mod is relatively easy. The basics are moving the trans mount back 2 inches (front hole goes in the back spot) Trans mod requires installing the TH400 output shaft in the 4L85e, they are the same, so it fits in. Making a spacer ~3/4 thick to go between the trans and the transfercase. The bolt holes line up fine, but the sleeve sticks out of the transfercase too far. And lastly, lengthening the drive shaft. In my coach there was also a floor brace that needed a hammer taken to it to bend a section out of the way of the transfercase. Your coach will probably be different, you just need to look at what is behind your transfercase, as it will move back 2 inches.

Performance wise, the obvious is to swap the transfercase gears. This puts the cruise RPM at 2500 @ 70 mph in OD. Trans controller is a EZ-TCU ~$600 from Summit. Controller is easy to set up. Since you can program thresholds for TC lockup, you can match it to your engine torque characteristics. I have no trouble towing my 4600 lbs Grand Cherokee, and staying in lockup. I set the TC disengage for 50% throttle, which works out well. It will stay locked at 70 mph on any Midwestern freeway hill. Cruise requires 23% to 28% to hold 70, depending on the weather. One thing you notice is the trans internals feel very heavy. You can feel an inertia difference between the TH400 and the 4L85e. It feels inefficient unless it is in lockup. Of course in lockup, that brought the mileage up by about 1 mpg. My front differential had 3.53 gears in it. When I blew it, I went back to the stock 3.73. I really wish I had not done that, as I really felt like I lost mileage. I thought I was coming out of lockup too easily for towing on 2 lane roads, but the reality is that it made little difference in power and still needed to just be programed differently. Its funny, these 502s have an amazing amount of torque in the low end. When I first installed the trans, I was having issues reading the rear speed sensor (reluctor ring missing). While out on test drives, it was shifting into 4th gear at 15 mph. Even doing that, this thing would run smooth, and still accelerate up to speed. I assume your case would be even more so, with a blower.

The Flying Fortress
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:26 am 

Wow Dave, that was indeed a quest and I just read your foray into the world of cryogenics and the marginal differential issues. I'm sure I have similar issues with my diff but I need to deal with the steering first. My rig has a diff cooler like the Nascar guys use so it runs pretty cool but that doesn't address the structural issues and with our engines making similar power, I'm sure a teardown is in my near future as well.

I do have one quick question for you. Can the LH output shaft be pulled without pulling the knuckle assembly? It looks like by getting the tie rod out of the way there would be enough clearance to pull the axle spline out of the hub but it's a path I don't want to start down if I'm doomed from the start. I'd like to get the CV repair done at home before I have to take the coach to a shop for control arm bushings and alignment.

Jerry

Wally World Express 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:50 am 

Yes, you can pull it without undoing the ball joint. I'm trying to remember how I did it. I'm pretty sure I pulled the U-joint end first, and then collapsed the shaft. Undid the tierod, so the wheel would turn and then played around and got it out. IF you replace the U-joints, make sure the zerk hole is under compression when the under forward torque. Otherwise the hole will stretch and break.

The Flying Fortress
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:21 am 

Got it. Thank you Dave.

Wally World Express 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:44 pm 

Something else I forgot to mention. I found getting any kind of wrench on the u-bolt nut for the u-joint was difficult. I ended up using a socket, but in order to get a wrench on the socket, I used an adapter that fits into the socket, and has a hex on the top. This way I could slip and open end wrench on the hex bolt to turn the socket, as it was impossible to fit a ratchet on the end of the socket.

The Flying Fortress
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817