Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shocks, Again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:57 pm 

I know this was on the old Curious site but I can't seem to search there any more. What are the Bilstien shocks for a 1983 Slant-Nose? Are the same front and rear and will they need modification? The rears look very easy to do myself but I don't have a machine shop anymore to make modifications.
Keith

Post subject: Re: Shocks, Again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:42 pm 

I think the Bilstien number is #B46-1318-fronts and B46-1319-rears. I don't know if it requires any mounting modifications. I'm also not sure that Bilstien is the best choice, as Bilstien is known for being too stiff, and also is known for not standing behind their product.

I would take the measurements and then look at QA1. They bought out Carrara, which was the OEM shock for Revcon. Someone has used QA1 #122-5075-7, however they stated that it took some adapting to fit. They also suggested stronger compression damping, which would mean changing the number to 5077-7 or even 5077-9.

I'm running Koni FSD, but they have worn out prematurely and the model is no longer available.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:26 pm 

FYI this was my experience with my '84 King shocks. When I got the coach in 2009, it had the original Carrera 3175 rear 4 shocks, and 2 Rancho replacements on the front. The front would dive and easily bottom out often, while the rear (walking beam) tandem axles rode okay even though the Carrera (now called QA1) shocks were worn out.

These QA1 rebuildable, tuneable racing shocks were made for Daytona races, not 5,000 lb axles. Original equipment was all 6 Carrera 3175's, so the front end was obviously under-controlled from the Revcon factory. These OEM shocks may have correct retract/extend dimensions, but the requirement is similar to other small Class A and medium truck front axles needing greater (300+ lb) damping ability.

Otherwise, there is no need for Bilstein expense, so I checked Monroe, Gabriel, and other makes for a cost effective solution. I chose Japanese KYB, a high quality OEM source for many vehicles that is bargain-priced. For the front, KG6406 will work with the usual upper mount and grommet mod, while for the rear tandems, their lighter duty KG5538 is adequate. With stronger damping, the lower front shock mount will need to have the reinforcing mod done as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:58 am 

That's always good to know. One thing that I learned by using koni, compression damping is not necessarily the solution to bottoming out. The Koni's had very little compression damping,yet dramatically reduced the number of times my oversized tires hit the fenders. Most of the time when you bottom out, what happens before bottoming out has more impact on the event, rather than actually hitting a high impact bump. Typically the front end will be fully extended from being launched off a sharp incline. When the vehicle comes back down after being fully extended, it comes down hard. The Koni's compressed easily, so the original incline did not launch the front end. That combined with high rebound damping prevented the front end from getting that running start that results in bottoming out. If you can find a shock with higher rebound damping, they will ride better, but yet still be controlled over adverse swoops.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817