Revcon Forums

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum site will be shut down & deleted on 4/1/2024. Thanks for 11 years of support to the Revcon community!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PLEASE NOTE - All new users are required to make an introductory post in this forum within seven (7) days of account establishment, this is a one-time requirement to complete your user validation. Thanks and welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:12 am 

My fiancée and I picked up a '75 250 model revcon, one rear axle, with a 454 ci olds toronado. We've replaced the fuel filter and still traveling down the road the engine dies in gear. Need help understanding why. Please help.

Also, of the three fuel lines coming forward towards the engine from the fuel tank, two of these lines are capped off. I don't know what they are supposed to be connected to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:09 am 

Hey Hannibal
Only had ours for a few months so I'm no Revcon expert, but I do have a decent amount of knowledge in the automotive world, and will help if I can...

Questions:
When the engine stalls, does it stumble, buck and fart like it is running out of gas, or does it just die like someone turned the key?
Also, will it start right back up, or does it need to cool down for a bit before it will fire?

Did your model come equipped with a generator? If so, it still there and operable?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:53 am 

For the 3 lines from the tank, one should be a return line from the pump. The other line should be a vent line that goes up front to a carbon canister. The third line would be a fill vent line that goes to the fill tube next to the gas cap. I assume that you only have one tank.

Incidentally, the engine you have is a 455, not a 454.

The Flying Fortress
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:08 am 

The three lines from the tanks, there are two tanks, all go forward to the passenger side of the engine. Two of them are capped and the one remaining goes to the fuel filter, that I just replaced, then to the fuel pump, the to the carburetor.

When the engine stalls, it outright dies, but it bucks and farts like it is running out of gas. My father-in-law took apart the carb and replaced the filter inside it and we haven't had it running for a long duration of time after that since we're just driving it short distances to get it from point a to point b to park it and avoid citations. My fiance'e is bringing it to the dmv (department of motor vehicles in oregon) tomorrow to get it registered assuming that it doesn't die again.

It does have a 5KW onan generator. it does crank over, but does not start and stay going on it's own. We haven't gone into that piece quite yet, but it's good to know it does turn over at all. i'm going to guess a fuel filter or spark plug.....yada yada yada. Small engine repair is not hard, but will gladly taker any, and all, advice if given.

thanks in advance.

jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:42 pm 

Run it with the engine cover and air cleaner off. Keep a can of starting fluid in your right hand an see if you can keep it running by spraying starting fluid. If it runs, you have fuel delivery problem. If it dies, you have an electrical problem. If you have an explosion, I didn't suggest this LOL.

The Flying Fortress
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:16 am 

Change 1: father-in-law replaced the filter inside the carb and it runs almost like a dream now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:56 pm 

Glad to hear it Hannibal.
I still wonder about all of the lines from the fuel tank going forward...
What Daveinet said sounds right, (carberator, return and carbon canister) but unless your generator runs on propane, there shoud be a fuel line feeding it as well.
I hope you post a follow up when you figure it out and get it to run.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 am 

New update 20170604 (4 june 2017)

There's power from the battery to the starter solenoid, but no turning of the starter. It has been sitting for months now at my sister-in-laws land. I think I need to whack the starter with a hammer to break some corrosion loose the mechanic said. There is grass beginning to grow around it making it hard to get under it. It is not parked on hard earth. We had a mobile mechanic come to meet us at 'Hannibal' (the name my wife and I gave our revvy). He replaced the starter solenoid that we bought and charged us for it and didn't ask him to. Still no cranking of the starter let alone the engine. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 pm 

Pull your park, neutral switch under the dash on the top side of the steering column. Jumper out the connector and see if is cranks. The starter will always have power going to it, but there are two other small connections that go to the solenoid as well. One feeds the coil for a boost under start, the other fires the solenoid. (I'm assuming your starter has the solenoid mounted on the starter its self)

The Flying Fortress
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
Yes it is SOLD

FMCA F298817

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:20 am 

The solenoid replaced was not on the starter. I can't see the starter due to the weeds and soft earth around the revcon. I know it is on the passenger side of the engine. I would like to think there is a solenoid on the starter and I know how to replace them (solenoids and starters), but I just can't see it to say for sure there is one there. The solenoid replaced was just underneath the carpeted floor panel covering the engine on an aft square frame tube rail.

I will share this information with my wife. Thank you for helping. I/we appreciate it.